Image Map

Pages

Saturday, March 8, 2014

After a long hard day of sort of sledding - DINNER!


I really need to work on my food photography! 

It's a new favorite dinner.
A hearty, healthy meal. Best enjoyed after a long hard day of sledding - sort of sledding in our case.

Okay. We can also call it Spaghetti Squash with Meat Sauce and Garlic Parm Buttermilk Drop Biscuit sans Gluten.
I'll try to get better at my meal naming.

WARNING: I got lots of fresh air today. I am a little spunky and I don't measure when I cook. So if that drives you crazy. Sorry. I did my best to get the measurements but if you add a smidge there or leave out a pinch there it'll be fine.

Okay. Well I'll be perfectly honest. This was not a favorite of  Babe-O's. Namely, because he did not try it.But Babe-ala loved it. And so did all the other clan members.


DISCLAIMER: I am sure that this is not an original recipe. I am positive that the like exist in recipe books all over the world. But I made it up without a recipe and I am writing it down here.

Spaghetti Squash with Meat Sauce

1 spaghetti squash
1 medium onion, chopped
1 green pepper, chopped
2 cloves of garlic, minced

1 lb of ground beef
1 T oregano
1 1/2 t thyme
salt and pepper to taste
15 oz can of organic tomato sauce (no sugar added)
28 oz can of organic diced tomatoes
7-8 oz green olives, diced


Cut a spaghetti squash lengthwise. Scoop out the seeds and coat the inside with a bit of coconut oil. (A bit means use your best judgement.)

Roast at 375 for 25-30 minutes. I left mine longer because I forgot about it. It was fine.

Let it cool for a bit. (A bit means as long as you need to to handle the squash with your hands. Or just use clean oven mitts if you only have five minutes before the baby starts climbing up your leg and Batman needs to go potty.)

Then take a fork and scrape the tender squash. If you have never done this before, its cool.
It sort of shreds up and looks like spaghetti.
So scrape it into a bowl and set it aside.

Next, heat the coconut oil in a pan. Cook the onions, pepper, and garlic until onions are translucent. Add ground beef and spices, salt and pepper.
Brown the beef.
Add the tomato sauce and diced tomatoes.
Let it simmer for a while. Like maybe 20 minutes or even 30 or 40 on really low (if you don't have hungry as piranha kids that are chewing your socks, waiting for dinner, and then don't want to eat dinner until you make real spaghetti. But that's okay, I can do that too.)
Basically you want to cook that special tin can taste out of the tomatoes and let all the flavors marry. ( I just like saying that. They say it on all the cooking shows.)
Taste it as you go. Add more spices as you find necessary. You'll know when it's just right for you.

Arrange on a plate in a beautiful fashion. You can use my design for inspiration if you need it :)

Garlic Parm Buttermilk Drop Biscuits sans Gluten

1 c brown rice flour
2/3 c garbanzo fava bean flour
1/3 c quinoa flour
1 T baking powder
1 t garlic salt
1/3 c grated parmesan
1 stick unsalted butter, cold and diced
1 c buttermilk ( I used milk with 1 T of white vinegar and shook it up in a glass jar)

Preheat oven at 375.
You can line the baking sheet with parchment for easy clean up. I didn't.

Combine dry ingredients in a ball. Add diced butter. Use a pastry blender (or fork) to cut the butter into the dry ingredients until it is pea size. Stir in buttermilk (or substitute) until well incorporated.

I used a large spoon and "dropped" these onto my baking sheet. I shaped them slightly but they will spread out when they bake.

Bake for 15 minutes.

Try to make them look pretty in a bowl lined with a beautiful towel. I didn't do this because I was too lazy after sort of sledding all day. So you don't have to either, just gobble them up. They are YUM-O!

There you have it. Serve it up and mend your socks.


It's good.
We also put the meat sauce on top of the biscuit. GOOD! So if you don't have a squash, you're missing out, but truly, it's good without it.

No comments:

Post a Comment